- Find m stickers and put on M (I post little stickers around a room and she puts them on the letter so the stickers end up looking like the letter.)
- Color and assemble Letter M book
- Go to library and get M books
- Gather up any toys (animals are especially great for this) that start with the letter. Create a centerpiece and display the items.
- M dinner (We did it on day 1, because it’s a M Day — Monday!)
Dinner: Meatballs (my mom made up turkey ones with mustard, ketchup, oats and kind of fried them. They were delicious!) and “mashed” potatoes (not real mashed potatoes, but more like smashed potatoes. We used this recipe. Yum!)
Dessert: Molasses Cookies (I use the recipe my grandma had. I have no idea where it came from, but they’re the best. Here it is: Oven at 375. Mix 3/4 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, egg, and 1/4 cup of molasses. Add in: 2 cups of flour, 2 tsp of soda, 1 tsp cinnamon, 3/4 tsp cloves, 3/4 tsp ginger, 1/4 salt. Mix. Form balls the size of walnuts. Bake 10-12 minutes.) My daughter loves recipes like this, because there are so many spoonfuls she gets to add. 🙂 And when it comes to spices in baking, I’m always ok with more than an even tsp.I didn’t take any pictures!! I was so busy with the baby, and my mom was cooking, so…
(Other options: meatloaf, Mu shu _________, mozzarella stuffed meatballs, monkey bread, melon, macaroni, mashed potato, macaroni salad, mandarins, minestrone, muffins, mushrooms, masala, marshmallows, Mexican food, Mexican rice, marble cake, manwhich, mahi mahi, moo goo gui pan, moon pie, macadamia nuts, macadamia nut cookies, mackerel, macaroons, Middle Eastern food, Moroccan stew, matzo, madeleine cookies, mochi, mochi ice cream-at Trader Joes, mince meat pie, mini _______, mixed fruit, milk, milkshakes, mineral water, mint julep, malt)
- Fill in M outline or m outline with M&M paint: markers, m and m paint (sort m and ms and put them in cups, put enough cold water to just cover the m and ms in and stir until they water is colored, then paint. The colors were very subtle. It could be because we didn’t use many m&m’s – I only bought a regular size individual package. I didn’t want to be eating the rest for the next few days. Well, I did, but I knew I shouldn’t. 🙂 ) (other option: macaroni, marshmallows, magnets, mail, mint green, mauve, mint leaves, magenta)
After she was done painting, she wanted to mix all the colors together (and eat the white m&m’s, obviously) 🙂
- Memory game: I cut up a bunch of papers and wrote letters on them – a set of uppercase and lowercase. I did that twice. Laminated them and used them for a memory game.
- Starfall Computer Activity
- Video: Get Squiggling!
- Letter to a M friend
- Aluminum foil and mustard to write/play in (she loved this for a few minutes, and then she poured the brown liquid she’d made from the m&m’s concoction and poured that in. Good thing I didn’t clean up so quickly. 😉 )
- Play with money (I just gave her the change out of my pocket and some bills and she played grocery store for awhile.)
- Activity Sheet 1
- Activity Sheet 2
- March — I found this: Mozart’s Turkish March. I had to play this twice for her to march around. 🙂
- March — play this awesome song, We Are the Dinosaurs, we learned at a children’s storytime, and she marched around and followed the words of the song.
- Play Mancala (she did this with my dad, but it was really just putting marbles in the holes. 😉 )
- We read a book about moods.
- Activity Sheet 3
- Activity Sheet 4
- Many and few–cut up lots of white squares, cut up pieces of a house (roof, house, door) and glue on some white squares for windows…cut up a big building for a skyscraper apartment building and glue on lots of windows. I should have shown her a few pictures of what a skyscraper apartment would look like. I don’t know where the paper she did went, but I had to deal with the baby and when I came back, she’d finished. Needless to say, the skyscraper was a bit crazy looking. 🙂
- Sing “Mares Eat Oats” or actually Mairzy Doats
- Make a mosaic. My husband works at JPL, and has done a lot of work documenting the Mars Rover expeditions. So we did a Mars Mosaic. We colored the macaroni and wheel pasta with food coloring. I’m not one to spend a lot of time on prep, so we just put a bunch in a baggie and added a few drops of food coloring, shook it and then laid it on the aluminum foil to dry.
I showed her some pictures of mosaics. But, figured I’d just give her something really simple to do, like fill in a circle. It just happens that Mars starts with an M. 🙂 I drew a circle. She colored it first. Red in the circle and blue around it. She put glue on it with a glue stick and filled in the planet. She did need help from me, as I’m sure she would’ve been “finished” after gluing on just a few. 🙂 Then she wanted to add stars. (You can see the really dark colored macaroni was still wet. I should’ve added more pasta to the baggie when I realized we had too much food coloring…live and learn!)
- Video: Olive and the Rhyme Rescue Crew
- Bible Story: Malachi, Manasseh, Michael, Martha, Mary, Matthew, Methuselah, Micah, Moses
Letter L Post and Letter N Post
All Letter of the Week Posts
Click here for Alphabet Pinterest Board
To see more themes and what my three year old learned this year, click here.